Communiqué No. 02-09 of the Council of the Archdiocese
Meeting of 11 March 2009
1.Episcopal Vicariate of Great Britain and Ireland.
– The twice-yearly meeting of the presbytery was held in February with His Grace Bishop Basil of Amphipolis in the chair. Archimandrite Grigorios (Papathomas), Professor of Canon Law at the Faculty of Theology in the University of Athens and at the Theological Institute of St Serge in Paris, attended as a speaker. He presented two papers on ecclesiology.
– The annual conference of the Vicariate will take place from 22 – 25 May 2009, at St Albans, with Archbishop Gabriel presiding, and will have as its theme: Life in Christ’.
The Council of the Archdiocese approved a proposal put forward by His Grace Bishop Basil to amend the Statutes of the Vicariate to alter the timetable for elections to the Vicariate Assembly.
– The first court hearings in the case brought by the Moscow Patriarchate against the Episcopal Vicariate had taken place on 20 and 23 February. The judge had adjourned the case to 21 April in order to allow for an argument to be prepared by counsel on behalf of a parishioner who had been joined to the case during the first hearing on behalf of the Vicariate and the Dormition Parish (Holborn).
2. Plans for the St Sergius Foundation. Study continues of the plans for the St Sergius Foundation In this context, on Monday, 9 March 2009, a meeting was held between Archbishop Gabriel, the Diocesan Administration, the teaching staff of the St Sergius Institute, the trustees of AMEITO, as well as representative of the Ministry of the Interior. This has made it possible to take an overall view of the possible institutional arrangements linked to the creation of a foundation recognised as of public benefit.
3. Parishes and clergy
– Deacon Yannick Provost was ordained priest by Archbishop Gabriel on Saturday, 28 February 2009, during the Divine Liturgy celebrated at the monastery church of St Silouan, at Saint-Mars-du-Loquenay. He will be responsible for liturgical celebrations for the community of Quimper (Finistère).
– Subdeacon Ian Page was ordained deacon by Bishop Basil on Sunday, 8 March, during the Divine Liturgy celebrated at the parish of St Peter and Paul, Clapham, in London (Great Britain). He will be assigned to that parish.
4. Ordinary General Assembly. The date of the next Ordinary General Assembly of the Archdiocese has been fixed for Friday, 30 April, to Saturday, 1 May 2010.